Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Utilize Different Angles To Get Better Photos

      Hello friends, I'm very excited about this topic and am anxious to get started. I've been pondering for weeks what I would write about that could influence your photography in a way that you would find beneficial. Each time I thought about it the same recurring idea came to me, which hopefully means I'm on the right track : ) The idea is about the angle or perspective at which you take your photos from. I firmly believe that how you approach the subject you are photographing has huge impact on the mood that gets conveyed and the story the photograph will tell, so let's get started!

       To me there are several basic angles that I would like to discuss and utilize very regularly. The first one seems like a no brainer, but I'm telling you, my very own husband needs constant reminding! It's simply to take most of your photos at your subject's eye level. I believe a couple of things happen when you actually get down on your subject's level: Firstly, when you're at their level I think you're connecting better with your subject which tends to bring out genuine smiles and emotion more easily. I also believe that shooting at eye level encourages you to want to fill the frame with your subject more. It's like we tend to instinctively understand that the subjects are the focal point so we naturally zoom in when they do this, resulting in beautiful intimate shots that have true connection.

(Photographing a subject at eye level can create deep connection)

       The second angle I love to take photos from is at a very low perspective. Yes, I'm completely aware that I just told you to take most of your photos at your subject's eye level, but as you'll quickly find out, one angle will not fit every situation nor do you want all of your photos to look the same. I happen to shoot a lot of shots of my son at a lower level when he is playing or working on something because it allows me to capture his facial expressions better. Don't be afraid of looking ridiculous laying on your back or tummy to get a shot, trust me you get to a point that you don't even care what you look like while shooting, lol. Besides, I always convince myself that no one is looking at me anyways : ) The example photo below of my husband and son playing was obviously taken from a low angle and because of that I think it captures the feeling of being right there with them in their happy little moment. Not only does it capture their interaction, and emotion,  but the photograph also shows some of the surrounds which I believe helps give this moment a frame of reference, which helps tell the story even better. 

(Photograph from lower levels to get playful shots and emphasis your subject's perspective) 

       The next logical angle is to shoot from above. I personally love taking photos of my son looking right up at me, they are some of my favorites because I know there will come a time that we'll see eye to eye or he'll be taller than me. It's a gentle reminder to myself that for now, he still looks up to me and how little he still is. A couple of things happen when you shoot from above, more than likely your subject will have beautiful catchlights in their eyes because most light is from above us. Catchlights happen when a light source is reflected in your subject's eyes, it's what gives eyes beautiful sparkle! Shooting from above is also great to give a birds-eye view of something that is happening. For instance, I love to shoot from above when my son is laying on the floor looking at a book or playing a board game, it's like I'm peeking in on him from above. However, when I shoot from above I will almost certainly shoot at eye level and below too in order to evaluate which angle I like the best.
 (Photographing from above captures how I see my son and can create beautiful catchlights) 

       Lastly, is shooting photos from behind your subject. I love this angle for showing relationships. I have many photos of my husband and son walking away from the camera and this sweet shot of my little guy and our furry little girl Miley. However, keep one thing in mind, many of us are very self-conscious of our backsides so most women (myself included) prefer these shots if they are shot from waist or higher (a skirt instead of jeans with big pockets may also flattering). I also use shooting from behind my subject when I want to show what my subject is looking at. For instance, if I take my son to the beach I may take a photo of him looking out a the water. Leaving him in the shot shows how small he is in the vast open space and shooting at his level shows the viewer how he sees the world at his age, both of those things make a huge impact visually.

(Photographing from behind can give an intimate view into a special relationship 
or show how your subject sees the world)

       So now that we've discussed angles and how I use some of them in my own photography, my goal is to inspire you to approach each photo you take with intention. Before you snap a shot take a quick moment to think about the story and feeling you want your photo to convey and which angle will help you achieve that the best. Don't be afraid to take lots of photos! Gosh friends, I'll confess that I'm a chronic over-shoots and proud of it! Despite the fact that I take a ton of shots, I can easily pick out the photos that I like best very quickly. I love having choices rather than being stuck with one or two shots that I'm not happy with. I shoot from all different angles, utilize different camera settings and sometimes even then I'll still end up re-shooting it because I realize something I should have done differently after the fact. Each time you take a shot that you love, ask yourself why you love it so much. When you're not happy with a photo evaluate what would have made it better. Doing those things will give you insight into your taste and you'll find your own style.

       Lastly friends, remember that photography is a means of self-expression and is an extension of who you are. Shoot what you love, because that's what will keep you energized and your passion will show in your work. Have fun with it and don't be afraid to make mistakes, I'm still learning and making mistakes everyday. If you ask me, the challenge is part of what make it so rewarding. Don't be afraid or intimidated to let the world see things through your eyes, because I bet your view is pretty darn amazing because you are amazing!!!! 

      Be happy and well my friends, appreciate everyday, count your blessings, be filled with joy always and spread happiness everywhere you go. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading my little blog, it means more than you'll ever know. 

Yours truly,

Connie : ) 




1 comment: